Governance of Migration and Diversity
What are the opportunities for the management of migration? How to incorporate newcomers into host societies? How to prevent discrimination and to promote contact and cohesion in culturally diverse societies?
Migration (including refugee migration) is a key issue in current and past political and societal debates.The one-year Master programme in Governance of Migration and Diversity integrates knowledge from various disciplines with a focus on how public and private organisations can respond to the opportunities and challenges offered by migration and diversity. It brings together history, sociology, politics, international development and urbanism as a foundation for a better understanding of the governance of migration and diversity.
Governance of Migration and Diversity is a subspecialisation of the MA History: Cities Migration and Global Interdependence. Within our programme you will write your thesis at Leiden University and graduate with an MA in History.However, the programme aims to frame the historical study of migration in a wider interdisciplinary context. To achieve this:
- You attend courses at all participating universities and become an all-round migration expert who is able to analyse and assess migration and diversity from multiple angles (history, sociology, politics, international development and urbanism). For the courses, please consult the e-Studyguide Governance of Migration and Diversity
- You will build up an extensive academic and professional network.
- You will focus on how organisations respond to the opportunities and challenges related to migration and diversity.
- You will address questions such as: what are the opportunities and challenges for the management of migration? How have societies changed in terms of (ethnic/cultural/religious) diversity? How are newcomers incorporated? How can discrimination be prevented?
How to apply for Governance of Migration and Diversity (History track) at Leiden University? Students apply in the MA History, Cities, Migration and Global Interdependence:
- Go to the enrollment page of the specialisation Cities, Migration and Global Interdependence
- Start the enrollment procedure via the ‘How to apply’-button on the left hand side of the screen
- Add a short letter of motivation, in which you state that you wish to follow the subspecialisation Governance of Migration and Diversity.