Prof.dr. I. (Ineke) Sluiter
- Classical languages and culture
- Ancient ideas on language and literature
|Telephone number:||+31 (0)71 527 3311|
|Faculty / Department:||Faculteit der Geesteswetenschappen, Centre for the Arts in Society, Griekse T&C|
2311 VL Leiden
Room number 1.15
- Ancient ideas on language
- Public debates and the use of value discourse
- Connection between classics and the modern world
- Anchoring Innovation, the new research agenda of a consortium of OIKOS researchers. See http://www.ru.nl/oikos.
- Spinoza project on the contributions of Humanities research to cognition studies and vice versa. Notably, a cognitive approach to Greek tragedy. Conference on ‘Minds on Stage’ (coorganized with dr Felix Budelmann, Oxford) planned for 2016.
- Co-editor (with Albert Rijksbaron) of the new digital open-access Greek-Dutch dictionary; for a pilot, see www.woordenboekgrieks.nl.
- Studies in ancient commentary culture.
- The Penn-Leiden Colloquia on Ancient Values: a long-term research project on the discourse of 'values' (e.g. courage, free speech, badness) in the ancient world . Currently, co-editing (with Jeremy McInerney) the volume on ‘Landscapes of Value’, to appear with Brill, Leiden in 2016.
Ineke Sluiter (Amsterdam 1959) studied Classics at the Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, where she also defended her PhD thesis (cum laude; Ancient Grammar in Context. Contributions to the Study of Ancient Linguistic Thought. Amsterdam: VU University Press 1990). After a post-doc fellowship from the Royal Dutch Academy of Arts and Sciences and research fellowships at Harvard’s Center for Hellenic Studies (Washington DC, 1994/5) and the Institute for Advanced Study (Princeton, 1996/7), she was appointed Associate Professor at the University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia). In 1999 she was appointed Full Professor on the chair of Greek language and literature at Leiden University. From 2000-2011, she was the academic director of OIKOS, National Research School in Classical Studies, the Netherlands. Currently, she is an OIKOS Board member, chair of the teaching committee, and academic director of the research agenda ‘Anchoring Innovation’.
Ineke Sluiter has won several prizes and awards both for her research and teaching, and has given several prestigious lectures (e.g. on the occasion of the 430th dies natalis of Leiden Univ.). She is a member of the Royal Dutch Academy of Arts and Sciences, the Royal Holland Society of Sciences and Humanities, and the Academia Europaea. Some of her lectures are available as audio-books, either streamed or on cd.
Recent courses include:
- Matricide three times over (on the Orestes/Electra plays by Aeschylus, Sophocles and Euripides)
- Plato and the poets
- Homer (including taking part with a student/faculty team in the Homer Multitext Project in Washington DC
- Socrates: drama, philosophy, society (central text: Aristiophanes’ Clouds)
Prins Bernhard Cultuurfonds:
Paleis op de Dam:
lid van de paleiscommissie
Rijksmuseum voor Oudheden - R.M.O.:
Lid Raad van Toezicht