D. (Devshree) Thanekar
- PhD student
- South Asian Studies
|Telephone number:||+31 (0)71 527 2171|
|Faculty / Department:||Faculteit der Geesteswetenschappen, Leiden Institute for Area Studies, SAS India en Tibet|
GEEN VERZENDING, IN- OF EXTERN
My primary research interest includes ‘urban transformations in Mumbai’ and how these transformations impact various aspects of the city, especially heritage, urban villages and the urban development projects. My secondary field of interest is 20th century Mumbai’s modern heritage, where I focus on 70-80 year old architecturally significant (but not yet designated as heritage) buildings representing blend of architectural styles yet predominantly portray ‘Indianness’ in their design.
I am also keenly interested in food that helped developing multiculturalism in Mumbai and how multiculturalism impacting food in the present day Mumbai.
Impacts of globalization on Mumbai’s fishing villages
Supervisor: Nira Wickramasinghe
Mumbai (Bombay), India is under the process of transformation to become a global city by year 2020. The research aims to understand how globalization and subsequent changes in urban development policies are transformations Mumbai’s fishing villages, which are considered the oldest settlements on the prime locations in the city. The study also aims to explore the possibilities of restructuring proposed developments in a sustainable way that would preserve cultural heritage of the fishing villages as well as uplift the quality of living environment.
- MSc in Conservation of Historic Buildings, University of Bath, UK (2006)
- B.F.A. in Interior Design, University of Mumbai, India (1999)
Related professional experience
- Asst. Professor at Kamla Raheja Vidyanidhi Institute for Architecture and Environmental Studies, Mumbai, India (2010-2011)
- Visiting Faculty at Academy of Architecture and K.R.V.I.A., Mumbai, India (2008-2010)
- Project Coordinator Elephanta Island conservation (World Heritage Site) for INTACH Mumbai Charter, India (2009-2010)
- Conservation Asst. for Pump Room, Bath and Salisbury Cathedral, Salisbury (World Heritage Site) for St. Blaise Ltd. Devon, UK (2006)
- Within urban conservation program:
1. Conservation Philosophy
2. Conservation Legislations
3. Conservation- Material and Construction Skills
- Combine architectural studio works within urban conservation and urban design programs.
English, Marathi and Hindi
- Article: Magova Mumbaichya Khadyasanskruticha (Flashback 1863 to present Mumbai’s food Culture), Rashmin, Netherlands, 2012
- ‘Culture, tradition and possibilities of conservation around Thane creek’, Thane, 2009
- Unpublished Master’s thesis, ‘New vision for Conservation: Integrating conservation and the traditional craftsmanship skills into contemporary urban developments in India’, University of Bath, 2006