Dr. T.M. (Taru) Salmenkari
- Chinese studies
- Civil societies
- Forms of political participation and urban geographies in East Asia
I am currently researching the vertical and horizontal relationships within civil societies, demonstration cultures, and social urban geographies in East Asia.
I teach politics and societies in East Asia, especially China.
- PhD and post-doctoral degrees received from the University of Helsinki.
- Former teaching and/or research positions held at the Institute for Asian and African Studies at the University of Helsinki, the Nordic Institute of Asian Studies, the Fudan University Nordic Centre, and the Chang Jung University.
- Former research exchanges to the Peking University and to the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences.
- Various scholarships obtained through, e.g., the Academy of Finland and the Korea Foundation.
- 'Theoretical poverty in the research of Chinese civil society', Modern Asian Studies, vol. 47 no. 2 (March 2013), pp. 682-711.
- 'Community building, civil society and societal service production in China', Journal of Civil Society, vol. 7 no. 1 (Apr. 2011), pp. 101-118.
- 'Geography of Protest: Places of demonstration in Buenos Aires and Seoul', Urban Geography vol. 30 no. 3 (Apr. 2009), pp. 239-260.
- 'Searching for a Chinese civil society model', China Information vol. 22, no. 3 (Nov. 2008), p. 397-421.
- 'Implementing and avoiding control: contemporary art and the Chinese state', China: An International Journal vol. 2, no. 2 (Sep. 2004) : 2, pp. 235-261.
Former publications: http://helsinki.academia.edu/TaruSalmenkari
Every Monday between 14.00 and 16.00 hrs.