In their work people are increasingly required to use English or another foreign language: for instance in presentations, lectures, e-mails, reports and grant applications. This can sometimes lead to pressure or insecurity. In this context, the Academic Language Centre provides focused support in two ways: through a language coaching programme, which uses examples from work situations in order to improve specific language skills, or through incidental coaching, which focuses on practical support in a concrete situation.
The language coaching programme is meant to improve specific language skills, and it is based on real situations arising at work. The coach comes along as often as possible to observe, providing feedback and offering suggestions for improvement. The final goal of the coaching is to allow the participant to independently carry out the relevant tasks. The language coaching can be completed by means of an assessment. It is also possible to determine progress using a language portfolio.
Examples of coaching programmes:
- Writing: the coach follows the writing process, intervenes where there is room for improvement, and provides the client with information regarding possible ways of formulating an idea.
- Presentation: the coach attends the presentation and subsequently provides feedback on the various linguistic aspects of the presentation.
- Contact with clients: the coach listens along during conversations with clients or practices frequently recurring conversations with clients using role-play.
- Performance interviews: an anonymous role-playing session allows us to practice crucial aspects of performance interviews beforehand. For managers and staff members.
- Meetings: focuses on improved performance during meetings.
- Other forms of coaching are available upon consultation.
Enrolment and intake
You can apply for language coaching using the following online form. A staff member of the Academic Language Centre will consider your application and determine whether the Academic Language Centre can offer you suitable coaching. This staff member will contact you within a few days in order to plan an intake. On the basis of the intake, the coach will formulate a plan of action. If you require more information regarding language coaching, do not hesitate to contact us by telephone: 071-5272332.
In incidental language coaching, the focus lies on the quality of language use in a concrete task. Examples: practicing giving a presentation or lecture, practicing difficult interviews, help with writing a letter, a report or a grant application. Incidental coaching is open to anyone who experiences work or study-related difficulties using a foreign language. The form and contents of the language coaching is determined in consultation with the language coach. For more information, contact us by telephone: 071-5272332.
- Intake interview (only for language coaching programmes): € 50,-
- Coaching per hour: € 85,- ( Leiden University staff members and students)
- Coaching per hour: € 100,- (others)