Dutch 1&2 Intensive Summer Course
|Number of lessons||25|
|Day(s) and time(s)||see Timetable & Registration|
|Registration fee||€ 990 for students and staff of Leiden University
€ 1250 for DUO and UAF applicants
|€ 1200 for others|
|Language of instruction||Dutch and English|
Dutch 1+2 is an intensive daytime Dutch course which integrates levels 1 and 2.
It is a beginners course in which all the basic language skills are dealt with: speaking, listening, reading and writing. Texts and topics of conversation are centred around everyday situations. Attention is given to basic vocabulary: students will learn approximately 1300 new words. Various aspects of elementary Dutch grammar are also included in the course. Conversation skills are practised in the class as well as in groups and language lab equipment is used. Students are expected to prepare at home; preparation time is estimated to be approximately 3 hours per session.
The pace is fast and students are expected to actively participate and prepare for the lessons. A basic knowledge of English and Roman script is required.
Upon completing the course, participants will be able to have a basic conversation about everyday subjects, such as family, study, work, visiting the doctor and going out. They will also be able to understand basic texts and conversations. The course is concluded with a final test and a certificate (minimum attendance 80%).
|Title||Nederlands in gang|
|Author(s)||Berna de Boer, Margaret van der Kamp, Birgit Lijmbach|
|Available at||Van Stockum|
This course is intended for adults with a higher education, including both Leiden University students and staff members and other interested parties with no relation to the University. The course is open to persons aged 17 and older who have completed a secondary school education.
Knowledge of Dutch is not required for enrolment in this course, but basic knowledge of both English (at level A2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) and Roman script is required.
This is a fast-paced course: five weeks; lessons daily from 9.30-16.30 hrs. Students are expected to prepare each lesson (3 hours per lesson) and to actively participate in each class.
- The maximum number of participants for this course is 16.
- The course load is 220 hours. On request a Course load declaration form can be issued. The student should enquire with their department whether course participation can be converted into credits.
- The holiday periods can be found in the Academic Language Centre's academic calendar.
- If classes are cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances, they will be added at the end of the courses. Please take into account that courses may end later than scheduled.
- The course level is indicated with the help of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
- Description of tariff groups
- Terms and conditions
- Frequently Asked Questions