Orientation year for non-EU students

Orientation year

After obtaining a bachelor’s or master’s degree from a research university or university of applied sciences in the Netherlands, non-European students can apply for a residence permit under the ‘Orientation Year highly educated persons’ (Zoekjaar hoogopgeleiden) scheme. This allows you to spend a period of up to twelve months in the Netherlands to find employment.

During your orientation year, you have free access to the Dutch labour market. This means that your employer does not need to apply for a work permit. When your orientation year is over, you will need to change your residence permit.

Having completed the orientation year will enable you to apply for the 'Highly Skilled Migrants scheme' (Kennismigrantenregeling) under more favourable terms, as the salary requirement is lower than for other applicants.

See Orientation year for graduates in the Netherlands for all information

Finding a job in The Netherlands

The Student Career Service can offer you help in finding jobs, please see Student Career Service

Last Modified: 30-03-2016